CFP for our upcoming conference. As per usual, please feel free to forward and share anywhere you think people may be interested. Visit the website or contact me for further details.

Kind Regards,
Cavan

Cavan McLaughlin

Senior Lecturer in Media Production

The School of The Arts

The University of Northampton
Avenue Campus

St George's Avenue
Northampton
Northamptonshire
NN2 6JD

Tel:  +44 (0)1604  893228

Email: cavan.mclaughlin@northampton.ac.uk

Website: www.northampton.ac.uk

Trans- States: The art of crossing over

University of Northampton, 9 & 10th September, 2016

Trans-States.org

trans- prefix meaning: across, beyond, through, on the other side of, to go beyond

state: a ​condition or way of being that ​exists at a ​particular ​time

An unabashed play on words, a trans- state is, among other things, a coincidentia oppositorum. An alchemical wedding that defines the fixed place, where boundaries are actively transgressed. In many ways, this very undertaking is where the role of the magician, mystic and artist collide. Down at the crossroads, where possibilities are collapsed into actualities, by the wondrous act of a conscious decision: there lies the place of suffering and surrender; of realisation and redemption.

This is a transdisciplinary conference that will explore representations in contemporary visual culture of boundary crossing, liminality and queerification with specific reference to occultism, mysticism, shamanism and other esoteric and spiritual practices.

Confirmed Keynotes:

We are pleased to announce that we have two very exciting keynote speakers confirmed.

     Alan Moore - World-renowned author and artist (titles include Watchmen, From Hell, Promethea and co-authorship of the upcoming The Moon and Serpent Bumper Book of Magic)

     Dr Richard Kaczynksi - Author and research affiliate, Yale University. Dr Kaczynksi is an expert in social psychology, metaphysical beliefs and new religious movements, and is widely known for his biography Perdurabo: The Life of Aleister Crowley.

Call for Proposals:

We welcome proposals by academics, independent scholars, practitioners and artists.

We aim to promote not only the blending of disciplines, but also non-normative approaches to the theme. As such joint proposals, collaborations, practitioner-based activities, pre-formed panels and performances are very welcome, as well as individual submissions and papers. We also welcome short film screenings; installations; visually interactive talks and workshops.

The following list of ‘trans- states’ has been provided as inspiration for proposal ideas:

Transcendental

Transformation

Transmutation

Transmedia

Transgender, Transexual, Gender Queer, Androgyne

Transitions and liminality

Transmissions

Transcultural

Transdermal and body modification

Transfixion

Transference

Transdisciplinary

Transfiguration

Transgression

Transhumanism

Transmigration and metempsychosis

Transnatural art and design

Transpersonal

Transubstantiation

What to send:

Abstracts or proposals should be 250-300 words and should be sent by Sunday 20th March, as an email attachment, in a text document, to the following: [log in to unmask]   In the case of performances or other activities, please include details in your proposal of any additional requirements you may have.

You should also include a short biog of no more than 250 words.

Please use the subject line of: Trans- States Conference Submission

Applicants may be from any background, with no minimum education levels, although are expected to demonstrate expertise in their area of interest. This must be summarised in the biography.

The document should be sent in the following format: (1) contributor(s), (2) affiliation as you would like it to appear in programme, (3) mail, (4) title of proposal, (5) body of abstract/proposal, (6) biog.