(With apologies for cross-posting)

Call for Chapter proposals: Privacy in Public Spaces

We are pleased to announce the call for book chapter contributions for a book on privacy in public spaces. Find below the short abstract and attached the long description on the topic.

For this volume, we are seeking contributions on the topic of privacy in public spaces from a multitude of fields such as (but not limited to) law, regulation, geography, philosophy or sociology.

Please consider:

  • contributing to this book and/or
  • posting this call on your mailinglist and/or
  • sending this call to colleagues you think should be part of this volume.

Abstract (short)

In this volume, we wish to explore how being anonymous and maintaining some expectation of privacy when moving around in physical public space is becoming more difficult due to all sorts of technological, digital infrastructures invading public space. Innovations such as social media, ubiquitous computing and smart sensing (sometimes grouped under the umbrella term of an "Internet-of-Things") are increasingly becoming common practice in public space. Not only does this entail new forms of physical products or devices that are 'smart' (e.g. are somehow connected to a network in which they can communicate to other 'things' and/or humans), this 'smartness' also entails all kinds of data sharing. This sharing takes place in public space, where boundaries of what is 'public' and what is 'private' become more difficult to establish. Both commercial parties and government institutions (often in collaboration) try to benefit from citizens sharing and spilling over their generated data in the grey area of 'public' space. In the process, citizens' private lives become more visible in the public space, and yet, are afforded very limited legal protection compared to private spaces. Conceptually, the book will analyze whether a metaphorical privacy bubble exists, or should exist, around a data-carrying citizen moving about in public space and if so, how such privacy bubbles can be conceptualized.

We welcome contributions that (illustrative):

  • Re-conceptualize regulatory spaces of privacy
  • Offer theoretical accounts of privacy in (physical) public space
  • Reflect on the delimitation of (physical) public space
  • Discuss the changes in the role of privacy in public space and the role of public space for privacy
  • Discuss specific technologies or solutions deployed in public space that increase or alter the character of surveillance in public space
  • Describe recent trends developing in public space that have an impact on the standing and the role of privacy in public space
  • Offer thoughts on resilience in face of the changes in public space and particular means of resisting the privacy-intrusive technologies, solutions and trends in physical public space
  • Offer conceptual and/or theoretical effort in re-thinking privacy and privacy protection in public space

Guidelines for authors

  • Authors interested in contributing a chapter should send an abstract of their chapter to Tjerk Timan ([log in to unmask]) no later than 12 January 2016. The abstracts should include the name(s) and affiliation of the author(s), proposed title of their contribution and a description of the proposed chapter using no more than 250 words.
  • Authors will be informed no later than 18 January 2016 on the acceptance of their contribution.
  • The deadline for submitting full chapters is 30 April 2016. We accept chapters counting between 6000 and 12000 words.
  • Submitted chapters will be peer reviewed and sent back to the authors no later than 15 June 2015 who will be given opportunity to process the comments before submitting their final versions no later than 31 July 2016.
  • We aim for publication in the second half of 2016.

Editors: Dr. Tjerk Timan, Dr. Bryce C. Newell and Prof. Bert-Jaap Koops

Publisher: Our aim is to submit the book to a renowned publisher, we are considering Ashgate, Routledge or Oxford UP.

For questions or inquiries concerning this call, please send a mail to [log in to unmask]

**************************************************** This is a message from the SURVEILLANCE listserv for research and teaching in surveillance studies. To unsubscribe, please send the following message to <[log in to unmask]>: UNSUBSCRIBE SURVEILLANCE For further help, please visit: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/help ****************************************************