I'm not really sure where the discrepancy may be coming from.  If it is small, then it may just be down to noise.

As ever, the devil is in the detail.  For example, it may depend on how you are warping to the midpoint template created during the longitudinal pipeline, using Dartel.  Are you scaling by the Jacobians?  Is smoothing similar? etc

I'd suggest creating some difference images (unsmoothed) to see if you can see any obvious differences between these and the maps generated via the Longitudinal pipeline.

Best regards,
-John