Dear Mathieu,

While the purist in me would argue for always remaining in native space as long as possible, there are multiple reasons (many practical) for intensitiy normalisation in MNI space. A prerequisite is of course that you trust your spatial normalisation.

See e.g. Yakushev I et al. Psych Res Neuroimaging 2008 and, for an elegant alternative to purely anatomical intensity normalisation: Yakushev I et al. NeuroImage 44 (2009) 4350

If you normalise to some anatomical region, do remember to use representative population-based anatomical atlases.

Hope this helps,

All the best,

Alexander

Alexander Hammers, MD PhD

Professor (Honorary Consultant) of Imaging and Neuroscience
Head of PET Imaging Centre
Division of Imaging Sciences and Biomedical Engineering
King's College London
St Thomas' Hospital, London

Telephone +44-(0)20 7188 8364 (PA Amanda Provencal)
Email [log in to unmask]