From: Baguley, Thomas [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 11 December 2015 16:28
To: [log in to unmask]; Iain Wilson
Subject: Re: Centring techniques for Multilevel Modelling for a longitudinal design

A quick glance suggests that you are broadly correct.

The question might be what the unit of interest is. In your case you have a repeated measures model which involves participants at L2 and time points at L1. In a classic educational model the individual is at level 1 not level 2. Generally, group mean centering would be used when you have other kinds of nested structures that might show effects of different sampling units (children, schools, countries). It is possible the point being made is the prosaic one that if this were an ANOVA one would just look at the total effect (the sum of the effects at each level) - as decomposing the effects at time point level and participant level might not have a clear theoretical interpretation.

In my book I tried to use the terms L1-centering and L2-centering for this reason (as the L2 unit isn't always a good - it could be an individual - as here).

Thom