This one demanded a long reading for the long writing Lawrence, but repaid.

Shifts not just of tone but of who presents as I, & this book is both sure of itself & just a bit insecure (as is that prince).

Yeah: I like it too

Doug
> On Dec 2, 2015, at 10:25 AM, Patrick McManus <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> L big snap paged out I'm a clay tablet man myself nothing like good jabbings in clay or even at a pinch I can accommodate a scroll -cheers P
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Lawrence Upton
> Sent: Wednesday, December 2, 2015 2:49 PM
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: the bok says
>
> the book says
>
> all pages are mine
>

> but more than that, the book says
>
> pages take on existence within me
>

> a page outside
>
> is not a page
>
> but a sheet of paper
>

> a sheet of paper does not make a page, nor many pages a decent book
>

> it is what is written, each page, judged as a page...
>

> the content matters
>

> the book says
>
> keep pages tiny, hand-sized,
>
> light but not light-headed,
>
> slightly too large for the average pocket --
>
> or your words and illustrations will not seem serious:
>
> be a nuisance and you will be heard
>

> the book says that binding and pages,
>
> considered as concept, content, object and participant,
>
> are two sides, recto and verso, of one thing,
>
> an eye to the world,
>
> a pulse in the throat,
>
> the subjective and its objective somehow interpenetrating --
>

> what is a spoke without a wheel? what is a broken wheel?
>

> until there were books, continua of pages,
>
> writings were individual, devoid *largely* of meaning --
>
> a note would come, perhaps from a great prince to a great prince,
>
> but would not be considered, situated as it was on a scrap of paper --
>

> and you may make the paper as you wish!
>
> kill the finest strongest animals you have,
>
> do whatever must be done to their skin
>
> to make it pliable and receptive to and retentive of ink,
>
> make the finest ink of the richest earth,
>
> make the smoothest pens with which to write,
>
> and practice your scribes in the art of writing
>

> but what is a piece of paper to a great prince?
>

> the *words* of the message are best conveyed by human voice
>
> and so much more easily destroyed --
>
> a tongue is no match for a knife
>
> and will not grow back
>

> for it seems to me that the message written is not the message
>
> but a copy thereof which may be thrown away and even forgotten
>
> but is not destroyed,
>
> whereas the severed tongue will be eaten by vermin,
>
> and the voice with which it spoke is itself a portion of the tongue, you
> see?
>
> although now it is reduced to grunts by the power of my army –
>

> well, I am peaceful: if due credibility is given to my power in deed as in
> word,
>
> and reparations paid for my distress in this matter and so on --
>
> make the usual threats
>

> the book says
>
> a prince who is not recorded is not a prince for long
>
> better he learn to cope with books than he eschew them
>

> and we all turn and listen to the book

> [...]

Douglas Barbour
https://eclecticruckus.wordpress.com/

Recent publications: (With Sheila E Murphy) Continuations & Continuation 2 (UofAPress).
Recording Dates (Rubicon Press).

	Done in by creation itself.

I mean the gods. Not us. Well us too.
The gods moved into books. Who wrote the books?
We wrote the books. In whose dream, then are we dreaming?

		Robert Kroetsch.