Share anything I've said. It can't have been that bad.
It was the Coursera conference at Senate House (2013 or 14). I was pretty much live tweeting so i will fish through my.twitter archive. I think i asked about the logic of having a list of coursera videos outside of the courses people could use. The response from Koller or Ng was it didn't seem to fit the business models of unis. I spoke to Penn afterwards who do a lot of OER and they thought it was a good idea. It might be worth noting here that after three years of using the coursera 'VLE' the only visible interface changes are on the analytics side and a little bit on asset management. Most of the work has been on the ondemand side. Perhaps thy see no benefit to openness and have a business to run. Perhaps it might be easier to level this criticism at futurelearn.
I'd also add that we did use OER during our MOOC, even though there is next to nothing out there law wise (bar historical documents), but when we did we tried to ask the person first for permission. This may sound contra openness, but I'd not want to send 40000 people off to someone's website without them at least expecting it. Many web hosts will close a site down once traffic reaches certain levels or once a set level of gigabytes has been downloaded. Of course you could download it and host it on the massive "VLE" (basically AWS) but then all the precious reuse evidence is lost

-------- Original message --------
From: alannah fitzgerald <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 08/12/2015  22:57  (GMT+00:00)
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Open policies for MOOCs

Dear All,

This is very timely as I'm in the process of trying to encourage McGill Uni. in Canada to openly license their MOOC content, and establish an open ed policy, as part of my pro bono work with them for their Social Learning for Social Impact MOOC. Thankfully, some of the learners raised the question about the level of openness of the MOOC and they knew about the edX plug-in, questioning why it hadn't been used by McGill. It's always helpful when the learners are demanding this change and I expect that this has something to do with the high number of self-identifying edhackers in the social justice community who are taking our MOOC. Anyway, I'll let you know how things go from early Feb once I'm back in Montreal to make a face-2-face case for this with my fellow MOOC facilitators (I'm currently in NZ doing my other pro bono stint with the open FLAX language project till then). The expertise shared here will help with making this case, thanks.

Cable - are the discussions on-going with edX and Creative Commons regarding the uptake of the CC-licensing plug-in for edX, I wonder? And, where does CC plan to go next with edX?

I've been in touch with Pat (aka the open ed policy at the Uni of London for the English Common Law MOOC with Coursera) as part of my research based on the reuse of their openly-licensed MOOC content for the development of open data-driven linguistic support derivatives by the FLAX project. I have some data from Pat in response to the open ed policy questions for MOOCs raised here in this discussion, and I'm sure he wouldn't mind that data being shared here (Pat?) also. One of the things Pat mentioned was that while he was in attendance at a MOOC provider conference (I'm not sure which one) and when he raised the same question about openness for MOOC content he was told that the providers had seen no evidence of demand for this. Perhaps, Pat, you can fill us in more with the details about this interaction? This view from whoever was speaking on behalf of the MOOC providers does seem to run at cross purposes with what we are seeing as, for example, evidence coming from edX MOOC completers, many of whom are educators who have a vested interest in the content and seeing how MOOCs deliver subjects they themselves are teaching [1].

I look forward to sharing more with you all in this important area of open policy development.

With all good wishes,

Alannah

Alannah Fitzgerald
FLAX Language Project (flax.nzdl.org) Open Education Research
PhD
Candidate in Educational Technology at Concordia University, Canada
https://ca.linkedin.com/in/alannahfitzgerald / alannahfitzgerald.org / @AlannahFitz / http://www.slideshare.net/AlannahOpenEd

[log in to unmask] / [log in to unmask] / https://plus.google.com/u/0/+alannahfitzgerald

[1] Ho, A. D., Chuang, I., Reich, J., Coleman, C. A., Whitehill, J., Northcutt, C. G., … Petersen, R. (2015). HarvardX and MITx: Two Years of Open Online Courses Fall 2012-Summer 2014 (SSRN Scholarly Paper No. ID 2586847). Rochester, NY: Social Science Research Network. Retrieved from http://papers.ssrn.com/abstract=2586847

see Finding 3: "Among the one-fifth of participants who responded to survey questions about their professional experience as teachers or instructors, 39% identified as a past or present teacher, and 21% of these teachers reported teaching in the topic area of the course in which they were participating. These survey results reflect the diversity of possible, desired uses of open online courses beyond certification."