Thanks Lynne

The Amlwch database (online) has him in the 1861 census but NOT in the 1871 & 1881
He is in Frampton Cotterell in 1871 - if it is the same guy - and from memory he had died prior to the 1881 census
I haven’t been able to find reference to him in the 1871 &1881 census for Amlwch - can you check where your reference that  he "continued to be described mine agent in the Amlwch census in 1871 and 1881” since if that is the case I may have the wrong man

The website of the Parys Underground Group (http://www.parysmountain.co.uk/) includes the quote
"However things went down hill again after 1870 when the lease was pasted to Parys Mines Reconstructed Ltd. Some of the engineers like Captain Trevithick and Williams left the mine"

I haven’t yet tracked down the source of that but it does suggest he left in time to appear in Frampton Cotterell at the time of the 1871 Census

The Williams they refer to is James Williams and their site also includes the comment that James Williams was a

"… Mona mine assayer in 1857 who earned £108 pa.
James Williams left with Captain Trevithick  in 1870 to start work in Canada."

There is ambiguity in the second sentence in that although they both left in 1870 it is unclear if they both went to Canada. The Parys Underground group clearly do since the same site also indicates regarding Thomas Trevithick that

"Captain [Trevethick]  left  to go to Canada as a mining captain in 1870 due to poor conditions at PM."

 It may be that there was an intention to go to Cnada and he never got there (Williams may have) and the answer may be in the original source but again it is one I have not tracked down yet

NB - if your info that they replaced John Treweek in 1870 is correct and they left for Canada &/or Gloucestershire in the same year they didn’t have that role long

Regards

David

http://www.amlwchhistory.co.uk/newdata/databases/Amlwch%201881.htm