From: Mandarin Chinese Teaching [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of L. Dai
Sent: 15 December 2015 09:18
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Choosing Mandarin

Hi Adam,

If you think your school's way of choosing Mandarin is quite inaccurate, see how we do in my school:

Top set in Y7 (based on their KS2 English and Math results) are put in two equal groups doing one of the three languages we offer. In some years, to make up staff's timetable, I have lower ability groups too. So no one chose to do Mandarin. The school is located in one of the most deprived areas in UK. You can imagine what the lessons would be like. However, I managed to motivate almost all of them, the first GCSE results are very good.

This year, the school allowed ( for the first time in history) Y9 students in either French or Spanish groups to choose Mandarin (means they would have to give up French or Spanish), so I have a small group of students who chose to do Chinese, the progress they made was absolutely amazing. But I also think their previous two years experience with a foreign language helped tremendously.

From my experience, the students who have had some experience of leaning a foreign language and choose to do one are the ones likely to make very good progress. But reality often go against this. Motivation and confidence are the two key factors for success, luckily, we as teachers have the power to give both to any student.

Kind regards and have a lovely Christmas,

Liqun