Dear Nicolas,

Thanks for the informative link. Your suspicions are correct, certain leaders will once again in our life time become very inventive in their use of UNSC Resolutions.

Ultimately the law is now silent. Politics and mischief has taken over. At times like this one can literarily weep at the impotence not only of international law but of the democratic will of the people as well. Nothing stops the lovers of bombs, invasions and wars on all sides.

Listen to this: "I might do what we did in Afghanistan many years ago to give those guys the ability to shoot down those planes. That equipment is available" Watch at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx6s4jO9xNY

These were the words of McCain in reaction to the entry of the Russians to the effort against the ISIS in Syria. And this is the man who would have been President of the country. It is notable that a few Russian Aircraft and helicopter have since been downed.

Bottom line is they will go to war. Even the people can't stop them. They have to go to war. It is the only reason why they spend so much on the arms industry.  Some stock have to be used before more can be ordered. The industry must continue with orders rolling in. It is the international Military Industrial complex.

I must agree that the issues are complex and there are no easy quick fixes. But if only people had respected borders, sovereignty and domestic jurisdiction as we know it under the UN Charter, we would not be here today.

For my ideas on the legal issues surrounding the alleged Russian trespass into Turkish airspace and the shooting of that aircraft see "Forgive Us Our Trespasses: Law and the Downing of the Russian Jet Near the Turkish and  Syria Border" available at

http://www.politicoscope.com/russian-jet/

Best Regards

Gbenga

JUST PUBLISHED July 2015: International Law and Boundary Disputes in Africa by Gbenga Oduntan Routledge -2014 -256 Series: Routledge Research in International Law http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9780415838924

COMING SOON: Bakassi Resolved: The Final Delimitation and Demarcation of the Boundary Between Cameroon and Nigeria
Nigerian Institute of International Affairs Lagos (2016)

Dr. Gbenga Oduntan
Senior Lecturer -International Commercial Law
Kent Law School,
Eliot College,
University of Kent,
Canterbury,
Kent CT2 7NS, UK.
Switchboard 0044 (0)1227 764000 (ext 4817)
Direct Line 0044 (0)1227 824817
Fax: 0044 (0) 1227 827831

Email: [log in to unmask]

http://www.kent.ac.uk/law/people/academic/Oduntan,_Gbenga.html