Dear all,

John Bonine has written asking that the following message be sent out with considerable urgency. Please pass on to all your networks as rapidly as you can. The window is tight on influencing the Paris Declaration now.

Warmly,

Anna

Please circulate today, Anna!

The EU has unfortunately been very silent on support for human rights reference in Art. 2 (2). Having the EU on board would be a huge step towards making sure we will get a reference in Art 2 at the end of this week.

If you have contacts to MEPs, ministers, negotiators or press (those here and at home) PLEASE reach out to them! We need to push concrete pressure on the EU.

See here a link with the twitter handles with the MEPs here in Paris: https://twitter.com/europarl_en/status/674167810478747648

More detail:

  *   French presidency focuses on addressing tactical wars: human rights Vs rights of people living under occupation on the one hand; issue of placement (Preamble Vs Article 2) on the other hand
  *   Decision is to appoint a Minister to facilitate a rather short but intense exchange (potentially 4 hours) on very political issues with a very limited group of countries. This person will be appointed tonight and will facilitate discussion tomorrow<x-apple-data-detectors://2> on both Preamble and Art 2.2.
  *   Art 2.2 is crucial location, as it is "operative text."
  *   Issue of human rights will go high up politically
  *   Given this timeline, clean text which will come out tomorrow morning<x-apple-data-detectors://4> will contain the same options as currently because the facilitation will not have yet taken place
  *   Civil society must do intense political lobbying. Everyone has its on list of priorities and they need our support to put HR on EU Parties' top priority item lists