I pretty strongly agree with Balaji on this, and the notion of the aesthetics of rape is one that can easily be seen as distressing, whatever the intention behind it. The organisers should find some other way of expressing the idea. There is clearly nothing aesthetic about rape, or about war come to that. I’m sure they could come up with something less liable to misinterpretation. John Bald

From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Julian Gray
Sent: Wednesday, December 09, 2015 3:59 PM
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: 'Aesthetics of (Wartime) Rape'? -- A statement of protest

I suspect the word 'aesthetics' is being used by the organisers in a more technical sense than you imagine Balaji.  Perhaps the organisers just want to use it to indicate that the conference is about literary or artistic works, rather than saying rape is beautiful. It is a bit like the word 'infantile' with which I once heard a doctor apply to a friend, saying his reaction to something appeared 'infantile'. On that occasion it was clear to me, from the context, that the doctor intended to say that the reaction stemmed from, or was similar to,  that of an infant, without intending to imply that my friend was in any way immature, or reprehensibly child like, but my friend could not understand that as he associated the word with a put-down, rather than its judgementally neutral meaning in the medical and child development literature. Perhaps a little linguistically insensitive of the doctor, one might say, but not intentionally offensive.

Anyway, to get a little more personal, my mother was raped by Russian soldiers in Vienna in 1945. I wrote a novel about her experiences as an English woman surviving alone in Nazi Austria, called 'Interrogating Ellie' It is available on Amazon if anyone is interested. It was difficult to write that scene, but I think I managed to deal with it in a sensitive way. I would welcome any comments on how I managed to handle it from people who read it.

All the best, Julian

Julian Gray