Dear all,

I have been approached by someone who would like to donate some fossil from Estonia. These are part of a historic collection, but unfortunately we do not know how long they have been in the UK.
I've been looking online and have asked a few people about the legality of fossils from Estonia but I've had conflicting views.

I was wondering if anyone knew what the current law was on fossils from Estonia and when any law came into place.

Many thanks,

Emma

Emma Bernard
Curator of Palaeobiology
Department of Earth Sciences
The Natural History Museum
Cromwell Road
London
SW7 5BD

T: +44(0)20 7942 5854
Twitter: @NHM_FossilFish

Search our specimen database at
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/research-curation/collections/departmental-collections/palaeontology-collections/search/index.php?action=keyword

In order to facilitate digitisation of the British Mesozoic  collections, from 1st March 2015 until 31st March 2016, the following conditions will apply to the fossil mammal, reptile, bird, amphibian and fish collections in the Department of Earth Sciences:
*             Enquiries (except as relating to approved work and researcher visits, including SYNTHESYS, http://www.synthesys.info/ )

*             Requests which have been submitted by the end of February 2015 will be considered on a case-by-case basis, although there may be some delay in assessing these requests
*             Requests to consult the collections by Ph.D. level researchers or above will be dealt with as normal for non-British Mesozoic specimens (as long as research visits do not require extensive curatorial input)

*             The following new requests will not be considered during this time:
                *             Loans
                *             Destructive sampling requests
                *             Enquiries (except as relating to approved work and researcher visits)
                *             CT scanning applications
                *             Public engagement requests
                *             Exhibition requests

This applies to both internal and external requests