Hi Donal,

On 9 December 2015 at 12:02, Hill, Donal <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi Anderson,
>
> Many thanks for your input! On your point regarding the apples and oranges
> comparison - do you know of any way to construct an apples to apples
> comparison here? In order to choose a method that is most sensitive, there
> must be a metric whereby one can compare TFCE with regular threshold based
> permutation and indeed parametric cluster formation.

In a sense, ultimately all methods are trying to do the same: infer about
activity or significance, while dealing with the spatial spread of the
signal. In this sense they could be compared, and in this was in fact how
TFCE was compared with cluster in the first paper. You'd be re-doing what
was done some years ago.

> I am most interested in knowing the sensitivity threshold of all methods
> i.e. at what critical point can an effect be seen. I think this is still
> possible, even if you are comparing oranges and apples. If the oranges
> sensitivity threshold is better than the apples one (when analysing the
> same data), you still learn something even if a direct comparison isn’t
> possible…I think!

You can do that: simulate known signal and make an ROC curve.

All the best,

Anderson