The mailing list archives have already been an enormous help in working with this cumbersome design, so I'm very hopeful that you fine folks can help me out here!

Experiment setup:
Mixed ANOVA - repeated measures with two groups (Control group and Intervention group)
Timeline:
Pre-treatment scan / 10 weeks of treatment / post-treatment scan at 10 week mark

QUESTION ONE-
Goal:
To find the difference scores between Scan 1 and Scan 2 for each subject and to compare the average difference between the two groups of subjects
To answer the question, "Does group membership correspond to different levels of change in activity?"

Approach:
1) Fixed-effects analysis, one for each group, calculating subject differences as contrasts (Scan2-Scan1 and Scan1-Scan2)
2) Mixed-effects analysis, using inputs from both groups, with one EV for each group and contrasts looking at group averages, Control > Intervention, and Intervention > Control

I did NOT model the subject means in step 1 here - should I? Since I'm not making any inferences at that level, I don't know whether it's necessary, and since I've done the next analysis with mixed-effects, I figure that accounts for subject as a random effect.

However, I ask because the subject means ARE modeled in the single-group paired difference, whereas the instructions for randomise advise a simple subtraction approach.

QUESTION TWO - This question is illustrated in the attached .pdf, but in short:
I have a subject who has two scans that each consist of multiple runs, and I want to get an estimate of that subject's average activation.

I've tried two approaches:
1) Average the runs for each scan separately and then average those two scan averages to put in a two-group model (similar to this)
2) Put together all the runs for a single subject into one model and calculate an average from that to put in a two-group model

Can someone tell me why the outcomes of those two analyses are different?

What additional adjustment or calculation is being performed there? Is there a compelling methodological reason to do it one way or the other?

Thank you so much, and happy holidays!
-Katie