Hi Lizanne,

PALM can be used in the same place where one would use randomise. If the
input files are .nii or .nii.gz, the option -s shouldn't be used then, as
the inputs are volumes. Otherwise it's fine.

That said, PALM could in fact take the -s, for FIRST vertex analysis, if
the input (-i) were converted to either (a) a .csv file that had one
subject be row and one vertex per column (transposed would also work with
the proper option) or (b) were converted to the FreeSurfer .mgh/.mgz format
(4D). In this case, the statistic would be truly computed in the surface,
and TFCE and cluster inference would benefit from the actual areas of the
surface of the subcortical structures. Although this can be done,
conversion between these formats is currently a bit difficult, such that it
might be simpler to just stay with the volume-converted NIFTI files. Maybe
in the future there could be a file format that would help to deal with
issues as these.

All the best,

Anderson