University of Auckland, New Zealand

* * * * * * * *
sent from my phone

On 4/12/2015, at 15:16, Craig Lockwood <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Dear Ian, Jon et al,

Qualitative methods are what i sometimes (jokingly) refer to as the 'dark side' - and although there are some well established, sophisticated methods for qualitative synthesis (see meta-aggregation or realist synthesis) the search for a rationale seems limited to 'things that can be counted' (depending on what 'worth' means).  A singular approach is always going to have more limits than a comprehensive approach. Understanding the effectiveness is very useful, but we also need to consider the meaningfulness, feasibility and applicability of evidence - perhaps then the measure of its 'worth' will be established.

The FAME scale developed by the Joanna Briggs Institute goes some way to responding to this.  Interesting timing on the post Jon, I was just watching some youtube interviews today where you were asking similar questions to this, the question is one of those 'wicked' problems!

cheers,
Craig

From: Evidence based health (EBH) [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Johnson, Ian (MAN-DHX) [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, 4 December 2015 8:09 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Why do we do systematic reviews?

Hi Jon

I have been involved with EBM for much longer, but mainly for the Dark Side, to help the pharmaceutical industry demonstrate value of their new products. It is important to be able to judge the true ‘worth’ of a new asset, specifically in comparison to what is currently available. Sadly, regulatory requirements are such, particularly in the US, that is it not difficult to construct an RCT (please excuse my habitual use of TLAs) that will show a superior benefit:risk outcome. Whether or not this is real, or in comparison with the best alternative, is fraught with uncertainties. Very few companies venture into H2H comparisons, so the accumulation of evidence around all potential comparators through an SLR is necessary, and has, of course spawned all types of ITCs and NMAs. Some Journals now demand an SLR before publishing a ‘pivotal’ RCT that claims to offer an incremental benefit. Unfortunately for EBH, these demands still rest largely on published evidence, and are subject to publication bias, as we know that not many studies with negative results ever enter the public domain. The underlying principle of EBM demands a rigorous collation and interpretation of the evidence. Whether SLRs fulfil that requirement is debatable, but until RWD collection, possibly involving EMRs, is mandatory, physicians will have no alternative but to continue to use their own clinical judgment and personal experience. We use SLRs to answer a research question that has not been addressed before. Not all of these reviews are published as they often serve to direct clinical development plans. Moreover, they are, unavoidably, just a review of the evidence at a point in time and, over time, new studies may change the interpretation. So, I agree with points 1-4, but not necessarily your tongue-in-cheek point 5, as primary research is probably more valuable on a CV than secondary.

Ian

K IAN JOHNSON | PRINCIPAL CONSULTANT, EVIDENCE RESEARCH

DOUBLE HELIX CONSULTING

19-21 King Edward Street, Macclesfield, SK10 1AQ, UK

P: +44 (0)1625 624048 |M: +44 (0)7725 335342

E: [log in to unmask]: www.dhelix.com

T: @dhelixgroup |@dhelixconsult