 Hi all,

In this climate of uncertainty and impetus for change I thought it good to go back to basics of EBM. I think people don't see clearly about the benefits of EBM/EBHC and we need to grasp peoples level of understanding or it leads to assumptions that we could not imagine they could come up with. Professor Carl Heneghan and I did blogs on The EBM Name and published them together Carls http://www.cebm.net/evidence-based-medicine-whats-in-a-name/   Mine http://www.cebm.net/the-price-of-a-name-change-for-evidence-based-health-care  it would be great to get some comments on the blog site and expand the knowledge and perspectives:-) I did another one last week on When doctors don't do numbers http://www.cebm.net/when-doctors-dont-do-numbers/  I referenced some very well written information by Professor Gigerenzer and Professor Risk but kept my own content very simple http://www.cebm.net/when-doctors-dont-do-numbers/ .

I wonder if some of the misunderstanding are coming because people have joined us in the middle and missed the basics?  As an example it never occurred to me that others would think of the evidence pyramid as only a quality indicator rather than as a drill down to remember where to find helpful information quickly. This thinking of quality ranking caused the Qualitative researchers to feel slighted as they have no representation in the pyramid.

Best

Amy