I understand that initiatives like the 'expert patients programme', where patients are trained to assist patients living with long term chronic conditions, have been used within the NHS and also, have been evaluated - presumably as to outcomes.

However, if there any evidence of the nature and level of benefit, to non-nhs of self help groups, of any kind? By 'non NHS' I mean groups that are not lead along NHS designed models or common health service type initiatives. I mean groups that are wholly spontaneous, and about self help, without being lead by medical or nursing facilitators etc.

There are numerous opportunities for groups (either physical or vitual) to develop, in the modern world - but I need to know what research has been done, to look at possible outcomes, either positive or negative, and/or how these are experienced in these circumstances.

I would be as interested in social, or patient orientated or defined outcomes, as well as medical, clinical or psychological outcomes

Kind regards
kate bloor