I am looking for materials regarding function assessments of individuals with disabilities and their relationship / validity to the physical and social environment.  General information is appreciated, but I am particularly interested in links to transportation or links to experience with the Easter Seals functional assessment, or examples of other functional assessments.

I am working with a group provides mobility assistance for person who cannot use fixed route transportation.  The assessment finds that a person who can use a train route independently is ineligible for mobility assistance.   The implication is that said person can/must use the bus system, as it too is a fixed route.  However, the bus system requires a transfer and crossing two 4-lane highways on foot to reach the train system.  They functional assessment implies that the bus and the train fixed route systems are equivalent.  There are also questions about how well the functional assessment assesses real world conditions like impact of pain, weather, terrain, etc.

I welcome any leads/contacts about how functional assessments are conducted and the linkages of different transportation systems.

Sincerely,

Karen