Hi all,

We need to make some Proper Progress™. We have three options:

1. Use tar as described earlier, with multivolume backup

2. Use tar in association with some simple find command to locate files
with changed mtime and some sort of wrapper to keep tarballs of a
manageable size.

3. Use a separate backup script - one of my colleagues is using one for
a service and it may be usable directly by us.

Requirements:
(a) archives must be of a manageable size
(b) archives should be individually extractable
(c) must be able to work unattended
(d) must be able to delete archive once it has been transferred

Did I miss any options/requirements?

Anyway, 1 seems to be the preferred option? - the trouble is I can't
make it work. It doesn't do incremental properly and it doesn't extract
across chunks unless you read in the whole lot.

-j