Not a rice spikelet!

Some sort of pedicel of a fruit. Compare it to wild grape pedicels perhaps.

Sent: 03 December 2015 03:47
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: charred macrobotanical fragments

Hi All,

I'm not seeing a rice spikelet. I can't really tell which angle the pictures are from but could this just be a small stem?

Best,

Jade

On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 7:33 PM, Md. Mizanur Rahman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Dear Bastel,

It looks like rice spikelet.

Mizanur Rahman

Assistant Professor (Archaeobotany)

Dept. of Archaeology

Jahangirnagar University

Savar, Dhaka-1342.

Bangladesh.

On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 11:25 PM, Sheahan Bestel <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Dear all,

I am wondering whether someone can help me to identify the plant remains (?) in the following pictures. They are from a Holocene site in China.

I have been wondering whether they are some type of fungal/mushroom type remains; the outer skin appears relatively thick and tough, but the charring and preservation have made these type of remains relatively wrinkled.

Any suggestions or thoughts are much appreciated!

Sheahan Bestel

Dr. Sheahan Bestel

Department of Archaeology

University of Exeter