Call for papers

Panel P086: Theart of slowing down

http://nomadit.co.uk/easa/easa2016/panels.php5?PanelID=4255

14th EASA BiennialConference: Anthropological legacies and human futures20-23 July 2016,Milan, Italy

Panel convenors:

Giulia Battaglia <mailto: [log in to unmask]>(Université Sorbonne Nouvelle - Paris 3)

Jasmin Kashanipour <mailto: [log in to unmask]>(University of Vienna)

Short abstract

“Slowness needsprotection” (Eriksen 2001). Yet, does anthropology encourage ‘slowness’ in itsown practice? We encourage reflections around the neoliberal politics of speedand the notion of ‘slowing down’ as a useful practice to re-vitaliseanthropological legacies towards a more engaging future.

Long abstract

“Slowness needsprotection”, says Thomas Eriksen (2001) implying that processes of slowing down emerge when being supported by the dynamicsof collective action on various scales. Yet, does the academic world,and more specifically anthropology, encourage ‘slowness’ in its own practice?In antithesis with the way in which the discipline has emerged and historicallyconstituted itself through its long-term engagement in the field, in the pastyears ‘slowing down’ in academia has become synonymous with inefficiency,augmenting precariousness. Thus, what does this mean for the contemporarysocial role of anthropology? This panel encourages reflections around thenotion of ‘slowing down’ as a useful practice to re-vitalise anthropologicallegacies towards a more engaging future. We invite participants to presentmethodological, theoretical, and/or experimental papers addressing ways throughwhich this notion may challenge the neoliberal politics of speed increasinglyaffecting the academic world.

Building on ourrespective yet complementary research centred on concepts such as ‘livinganthropology’ (Battaglia) and ‘gradual gaze’ (Kashanipour) vis-à-vis classicmethodological ways of doing anthropology through participant observation, “witha whole library in [our] heads” (Augé and Colleyn 2006) which mirrors “thediscipline’s agenda of the moment” (Starn 2015), we seek to initiatediscussions that reconnect our discipline to its ‘essence’, which is, for us,its art of slowing down. Accordingly, we call for papers that reflect onalternative models of engagement in the field and beyond the field, aiming atprocesses of ‘unlearning’ scientific automatisms while constantly ‘learning’ toengage with local ontologies and (re)shape future anthropologies.

To propose a paper, please follow this link

http://nomadit.co.uk/easa/easa2016/panels.php5?PanelID=4255

and submit through the online system on thewebsite. For any inquiries, please do not hesitate to email the two panel convenors.

Deadline: 15 February 2016

General instructions and rules:
http://www.easaonline.org/conferences/easa2016/cfp.shtml

General information on the conference:
http://www.easaonline.org/conferences/easa2016/

----------------------------Jasmin KashanipourPhD candidate Department of Social and Cultural AnthropologyUniversity of Vienna

* A postgraduate project comprising online journal,    *
* online discussions, teaching and research resources  *
* and international contacts directory.               *
* To join this list or to look at the archived previous       *
* messages visit:                                             *
* http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/Anthropology-Matters.HTML   *
* If you have ALREADY subscribed: to send a message to all    *
* those currently subscribed to the list,just send mail to:   *
*       Enjoyed the mailing list? Why not join the new        *
*       CONTACTS SECTION @ www.anthropologymatters.com        *
*    an international directory of anthropology researchers
*
* To unsubscribe: please log on to jiscmail.ac.uk, and            *
* go to the 'Subscriber's corner' page.                                  *
*