[Apologies for any cross-posting]

ONS have launched a consultation, which includes possible cuts to a range of outputs. Details below and at http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/about-ons/get-involved/consultations-and-user-surveys/consultations/consultation-on-changes-to-ons-products-2015/index.html

Please do respond to ONS if you have views

David Matz,

Vice chairman

RSS Official statistics section organising committee

(44) 20 8196 3504

All opinions are personal and independent of any official view of the Home Office

Consultation on Changes to ONS Products 2015

Downloads

·         Respond to this consultation

Opening date: 14 December 2015
Closing date: 08 February 2016
Department: Office for National Statistics
Category: General

All of the consultation information can be found by following these links:

·         overview

·         online survey and proposals (detailed proposals appear alongside the relevant survey questions)

·         Word version of the consultation (244 Kb Word document)

Overview

The digital and data revolution has arrived, giving us access to more data than ever before; we need to make changes to keep pace with it. We are transforming into a fully data-capable organisation, equipped to meet the UK's future statistical needs.

To enable us to change we must reduce the costs of our current operations. The Government Spending Review 2015 reduces our core funding by 19% by 2019/20, in order to free up resources for transformation. To meet this challenge we are focused on making our core operations and back office functions as efficient as possible, meeting our statutory obligations and producing high quality products and services at a lower cost. It is inevitable given the scale of the challenge that we will have to do some things differently, stop some statistical work or scale back where products are not adding the maximum value for money.

We are proposing a series of changes to free up resources from our stretched budget, and reinvest to develop the skills and technology we need. We will invest in improving our digital and data collection services, including our new website, IT infrastructure, administrative data and big data systems. We are making the changes necessary to enable us to produce high quality statistics suited to the modern world, and help Britain make better decisions.

How to respond

Please take a look at the proposals and take about 15-20 minutes to respond to the consultation. You can respond using the online survey or submit a Word version (244 Kb Word document) via email. The consultation will close on 8 February 2016. We will publish an initial summary of our findings within 12 weeks of the consultation close date. Your response will be treated in accordance with our Privacy Policy. If you have any queries, please email [log in to unmask].

This email and any files transmitted with it are private and intended
If you have received this email in error please return it to the address
it came from telling them it is not for you and then delete it from your system.
This email message has been swept for computer viruses.

The original of this email was scanned for viruses by the Government Secure Intranet virus scanning service supplied by Vodafone in partnership with Symantec. (CCTM Certificate Number 2009/09/0052.) This email has been certified virus free.

SIGNOFF allstat