Dear Allstat

I want to conduct meta-analysis comparing operating times of two procedures
across different studies.

One paper gives the following in the table of results:

Procedure A: Mean duration 24 minutes, range 11-40, N=108

Procedure B: Mean duration 19 minutes, range 5-46, N=114

P-value for difference <0.01, derived from unpaired t-test or Wilcoxon test.

To include this in a meta-analysis with results from other papers, I need
the Standard Deviation (I think?). Is there any way of recovering some
plausible estimate of SD from these results? Or, what assumptions would I
need to make to extract some estimate of SD?
Best wishes

--
David Epstein
Departamento de Economía Aplicada
Universidad de Granada
Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales
Campus de Cartuja, s/n, 18071. GRANADA
Teléfono:+34 958 249973 / 246258 <http://www.ugr.es/~davidepstein/>
FAX: +34 958 244046
email:  [log in to unmask]