Hi All,

I'm fairly sure the terms ordinary vs. nonordinary reality (I don't know about "beings") originate with Carlos Castaneda.

Best,

Diana

On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 11:28 PM, Khem Caigan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi, Jenny & All -

Apologies for the delay.

The earliest instances of the term "non-ordinary
beings" that I have been able to locate thus far
date back to articles found in the 1987 publication
listed below :

"Cultural Uniformity and Diversity in Micronesia",
by Kokuritsu Minzokugaku Hakubutsukan
- in:
Issue 21 of *Senri Ethnological Studies*
Iwao Ushijima, Kenʼichi Sudō ( Editors )
National Museum of Ethnology, 1987.

"Song and Cosmology on Satawal"
by Shuzo Ishimori
- in:
Issue 21 of *Senri Ethnological Studies*
Iwao Ushijima, Kenʼichi Sudō ( Editors )
National Museum of Ethnology, 1987.
( Freely Download the .PDF here :
http://tinyurl.com/pvghb8p )

I still have no idea who used the term first, but
it would appear that it has been in use among some
ethnologists for a little over a generation and so
it is ( hopefully ) "legit", if not venerable.

Cors in Manu Domine,

- Khem Caigan
--
"Heat and Moisture are Active to Generation;
Cold and Dryness are Passive, in and to each Thing;

*Of the Division of Chaos*
-Dr. Simon Forman
==================

On 6/12/2015 5:20 PM, Jenny Butler doth schreibble:
Dear Colleagues,

I am currently writing an article on Irish fairy belief and folk
religion. I am trying to avoid terms like 'supernatural' and the
consequent cosmological separation between 'natural' and
'super-natural'. I don't wish to use 'spiritual being' as this has an
association of non-physical and not all of the beings I'm discussing are
described as non-physical (in that they are flesh and blood).
'Other-than-human' suggests a superiority of human beings above other
beings and also includes a whole range of creatures (animals, birds,
insects, bacteria). I came across the description 'non-ordinary beings'
and I wonder who coined this term. Does anyone on the list know?

With best wishes,

Jenny

---