From: Umberto Albarella <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 2 November 2015 at 07:21
Subject: various reminders about ZOOARCH
To: zooarch <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Zooarchers,

We haven't written for a long time regarding ZOOARCH rules and etiquette,
so here are a few reminders that you will hopefully find useful. Veterans
of the list will know this very well, but we get new members all the time,
and perhaps old members could also benefit from being reminded:

- ZOOARCH does not take attachments so, if you want to attach a document or
a picture, please just include a link to a webpage which includes your
file. We work closely with both BoneCommons   <
http://www.alexandriaarchive.org/bonecommons/> and the ZooBook <
https://zooarchaeology.ning.com/>, which offer uploading facilities.

- to find more information about the functioning of ZOOARCH, please go to
this page, where, among other things, you can manage your individual
membership and consult 15 years of archives
<https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=ZOOARCH>

​- if you want to know who else is a list member please send the message
"review zooarch" to: [log in to unmask] You will receive an email
with the full list of members (apart from those who have chosen to have
their addresses concealed, which are very few). ​

- if you need a pdf of an article please always contact the author/s first
(you may find that they are on ZOOARCH anyway), failing that, you are
welcome to send a message to ZOOARCH.

- if you are interested in a pdf that has been requested by somebody else,
write to the person who requested it rather than the whole list. It has
been agreed that people who receive pdfs should make an effort to
distribute it to others who have also expressed an interested.

- never fail to include a subject title in your email, this will be helpful
to all members and will also facilitate archival search.

- if you contribute to a discussion that has been started on ZOOARCH please
reply to the whole list rather than just the original senders, as others
will also be interested in your contribution.

- ZOOARCH is about exchange of information but also discussion of topics of
common interest. Please feel free to be critical of methods and approaches,
but avoid a language that can be insulting to individuals. Fortunately in
15 years Zooarchers have behaved admirably in this respect (there have been
very few problems) but we do need to stay alert.

- Please feel free to advertise initiatives of any kind that are relevant
to zooarchaeology, such as job opportunities, courses, conferences,
seminars etc.,  but note that we will treat adverts that are irrelevant to
zooarchaeology as spam.

- For any queries please do write to [log in to unmask], or to
Jacqui or myself.

All the best,
Umberto

--
Umberto Albarella
Department of Archaeology

"That's the standard techinique of privatization: defund, make sure things
don't work, people get angry, you hand it over to private capital" Noam
Chomsky

--
Umberto Albarella
Department of Archaeology
University of Sheffield
Northgate House
West Street
Sheffield S1 4ET
United Kingdom
Telephone: (+) 44 (0) 114 22 22 943
Fax: (+) 44 (0) 114  22 25 109
http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/archaeology/people/albarella
For MSc in Osteoarchaeology see:
http://www.shef.ac.uk/archaeology/postgraduate/masters/courses-available/osteoarchaeology
For Zooarchaeology short course see:
http://www.shef.ac.uk/archaeology/research/zooarchaeology-lab/short-course

"That's the standard technique of privatization: defund, make sure things