I would suggest not resampling to 8mm in the 3rd plane and looking for a higher resolution template as well. If you are scaling the voxels by a factor of 10, then 6x6x6 should be sufficient -- which is the standard in human imaging studies now. If you aren't scaling the images, then divide the smoothing kernel by 10.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Donald McLaren, PhD