Samantha,

Just to be clear, your model has a column for HC, a column for Patients, and a column with the covariate.

If this is the case, then the model is correct and the data are the problem.
(1) How many subjects do you have in each group? Too few subjects would lead to small effects.
(2) Have you checked to make sure the 1st level subject masks overlap? If they don't overlap, then then are no significant voxels.
(3) Have you checked the data for each subject is different?

Best Regards,
Donald McLaren, PhD