In general, if you don't find a significant interaction, then you don't
need to model both factors. However, it depends on how you defined
"significance". I would use a more liberal threshold to exclude the
possibility of interaction.

An alternative approach would be to run the two-sample t-test in each
scanner separately and see if you get the same results.

Best Regards,
Donald McLaren, PhD