From: John Canning <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Date: Saturday, 28 November 2015 17:00
To: "[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>" <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: Re: Journal club on PGCertsLTHE?

Hi Martina
We haven't done anything exactly like this, but I did run a optional (1 hour) discussion session where everyone pre-read Chapter 10: 'Teaching as an amusing activity' from Neil Postman’s Amusing Ourselves to Death (1985). I'd prepared some possible questions in advance to stimulate discussion, but didn't need them. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but it actually worked very well with people from a variety of disciplinary and philosophical perspectives having their say. I ran it after a session on engaging with the pedagogic literature.

You mention timely topics, but if we are to prepare people for the long term we mustn’t neglect the timeless ones.

Best wishes
John

John Canning
Centre for Learning and Teaching