Can't see Fees going up above inflation, particularly as University's are perceived to have not suffered sufficiently in the 'cuts' .  Perhaps they could go up in STEM subjects if the government elects to save money by withdrawing all the teaching grant.

Regards

Ian

On 13 November 2015 at 13:30, Sue Clayton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Well, reputational factors are still powerful.
Also, the long game. Part of the proposal is that BIS takes direct power to raise fees, by passing parliamentary vote. Legislation will be needed to do this.
The govt currently remain silent on the question of raising fees  above inflation....but it's clearly preparing ground.

Sue

Sent from my iPhone

On 13 Nov 2015, at 13:10, Ian Scott <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Unless we can charge fees above inflation, given the cost will many go for TEF1 plus; currently the prospect of being able to raise fees by -0.1% does not appeal very much.

Regards

Ian

On 13 November 2015 at 13:02, Chris Rust <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Chris Rust <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Letter on higher education Green Paper in today's Guardian
Date: 13 November 2015 12:53:00 GMT
To: "Edwards, Corony" <[log in to unmask]>

Corona
I think your reading of the GP is absolutely correct. One of my main concerns would be that once the focus on institutions has been established in the initial stage further stages may never happen. As I said before I think that while direct opposition to using the TEF to differentiate fees is likely to fall on deaf ears, pointing out the lack of validity of the whole institution approach to their espoused intentions of providing information to prospective students and employers might have more chance of being heard because it is evidentially demonstrable rather than a philosophical/political opinion

I do also agree that suggesting differential fees for disciplines/programmes within institutions is something potentially quite interesting, especially if the metrics were meaningful (which unfortunately they almost certainly won't be!)

Best wishes
Chris

Sent from my iPhone