When Josephine Kipling died in New York in 1899, she was cremated
(Lycett, /Rudyard Kipling, /p. 313-4), but no mention is made of the
disposal of her ashes.  We do know that, 8-10 June 1899, Carrie  and her
mother went up to 'Naulakha', at Brattleboro, the last time Rudyard or
Carrie went to the house.  Did Carrie take Josephine's ashes and
scatter, or inter them, at 'Naulakha'?.  'Naulakha' had been Josephine's
home for the longest period of her life, so it seems possible that
Carrie might have decided to leave her to rest in the neighbourhood
where Carrie herself had spent much of her life.
Does anyone Know, please?  (The capital 'K' is deliberate.)
The query is triggered by an entry in the Carrington and Rees extracts
on the occasion of Carrie's mother's death 23 March 1919, in which
Carrie writes that "her death tears up all the roots I have left of my
child, home and life."

/Alastair Wilson/