Recently, Adrienne LaFrance wrote in *The Atlantic* about the digital death
and rebirth of a story that was a Pulitzer Prize finalist in 2008. Because
“The Crossing,” a 34-part series originally published by the *Rocky
Mountain News*, was born digital, it was not as easily archived as print
stories, and its journey from obscurity to resurrection was moving.

I loved LaFrance’s story. It was masterfully written, and it touched on
most of the issues that digital preservationists grapple with every day.
Coincidentally, the story was published the same week as a special
issue of *Newspaper
Research Journal* called “Capturing and Preserving the ‘First Draft of
History’ in the Digital Environment,” which is a collection of scholarly
papers (including my own) about preserving digital news.

http://theatln.tc/1HdqiYx
http://theatln.tc/1HdqiYx+

--
Peterk