I think it’s a great analogy and even if half-baked it may prove more palatable if served up to some parties than the more philosophical explanations of complexity and complex interventions or contingency that we tend to talk about!

From: Andrew Booth <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Monday, 9 November 2015 14:18
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Qualitative interviewing/CR--Active Ingredients

And just to add a perspective from this year's Cochrane Colloquium - one presenter persuasively argued that the whole rationale of comparing complex interventions across core components is flawed. e.g. one study may include 16 components of which eight are core and a second study may simply share one of those core components. A classic systematic review would include both. Clearly it is ridiculous to say that two interventions are the same on the basis of one or more shared components just as it would be equally perverse to ignore the effect of all the other components (core or non-core). Not even to mention the differences in Context!

Of course you could face similar complexity with analysis at the level of mechanisms - not to mention the fact that mechanisms too might work synergistically, antagonistically, entirely independently etcetera.

For me the "controlled" analogy is the Technical round of the Great British Bake Off where they are all given the same recipe, ingredients and type of oven and yet manage to produce everything from pancake to souffle! Goodness knows how we then make sense of a Showstopper round where evaluators work from a theme with their own ingredients or the Signature round where the innovators stamp their own indelible influence on the innovation!

Or is this a half-baked analogy? I have stopped short of Cake-Mixture-Oven Configurations!

Best wishes

Andrew