As a result of a campaign led by UWA faculty, the university withdrew from the arrangement. Other universities were considering hosting the centre when Malcom Turnbull won the leadership spill. Within a few days of deposing Abbott, Turnbull withdrew the funding and the project is dead. Would be nice if the 4 mill was going to be  redirected to the CSIRO and university research funding but no dice.

Briony

Sent from my iPhone

On 15 Nov 2015, at 5:58 AM, Ben Wisner <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I am grateful to Ilan and Terry for bringing up the    h  u g e   subject of research funding.  I don't think Terry was impuning the reputation of anyone in particular at UCL, and, indeed, I, too, am affiliated with UCL in a Hazards Research Centre until recently funded by a reinsurance company.  I think Terry raised the general question of how funding influences research.  This has been thoroughly discussed as regards medical and pharmaceutical research. With the exception of money going to climate change deniers, there has been little systematic research into how funding influences investigation of resource management, urban planning and also, importantly, disaster risk reduction/ creation. As Ilan notes, one has to look at the work done by the people funded directly or indirectly (via institutional support).  I myself am just wrapping up work on climate change adaptation in northeast Tanzania funded by the US National Science Foundation.  Our team felt no constraints or influences from the funding body whatsoever.  Looking at the 'naming rights' claimed by wealthy individuals and corporations in every university -- the X,Y,Z fellowship, institute, lecture theatre, building or lab -- there can't be any institution of higher education and research that does not use private wealth.

I have given this chain a different name, hoping that we can focus on a substantive discussion of Brazil, as Victor requested, keeping the topic of research funding separate.

All the best,

BEN
-----Original Message-----
From: Ilan Kelman <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Nov 14, 2015 10:16 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Framing disaster - Dam collapse in Brazil

Apologies, the blog given below is a UCL student openly criticising the relationship with BHP Billiton. The correct links to staff members giving such criticism are http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/oct/23/fossil-fuel-divestment-campaign-targets-ucl-and-bhp-billiton and http://roadtoparis.info/2015/02/11/mining-money-sustainability-research-ucl-bhp-billiton/

Ilan