From: Blackford, Sarah
Sent: ‎30/‎11/‎2015 12:40
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PSCI-COM] Job Opportunity: Science communication project management / admin University of Malta: Deadline 7 Dec

I don’t usually comment on the comments on salaries on this list as I appreciate the point people are making most of the time, however things are starting to get a bit irksome with the continual posting of these kinds of observations. I took the bother to look at equivalent costs of living in Malta compared to the UK and you can see it is significantly lower than in the UK: http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=United+Kingdom&country2=Malta as is the case with many other countries which offer a lower salary than would be expected if one were living in London.

To me, this looks like a great opportunity and it’s up to individuals to decide whether they can accept the salary or not, set against the experience they would receive. Unless this list instigates some kind of policing which specifies a minimum salary and conditions of employment that veto particular postings then we are bound to see an assortment of opportunities being posted with high, low and no salaries. This would be something for psci com to decide within the terms of its service to the community and, hopefully, would cut down the proportion of salary-related responses in 2016 and beyond. However, for me, this would be the only good outcome to such a policy, as I much prefer an open forum which allows people to assess and make up their own minds about job opportunities according to what they consider to be best for their career advancement.

Best wishes.

Sarah

Sarah Blackford, BSc, MA CIEGHE

Head of Education & Public Affairs