Hi, David; can you give us a ballpark number on the remuneration a freelance might expect for one of these pieces, please?

Best...

PGR

On 17 November 2015 at 11:40, David Johns <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

At Diamond Light Source, we would like to increase our stable of experienced freelance writers who can turn a published research paper into an accessible web summary for a science-literate audience.

Diamond is the UK’s national synchrotron facility, performing molecular-level research in the physical and life sciences. The facility is used by over 3,000 academic and industrial researchers across a wide range of disciplines including structural biology, energy, engineering, nanoscience, and environmental sciences.

We are looking for writers with a scientific background to work on our Science Highlights. Whilst we welcome writers of any background, we have a particular interest in hearing from those with experience (writing or researching) in the following areas:

-          Molecular geology

-          Catalysis and chemistry in general

-          Molecular surfaces and interfaces (physical or biological)

-          Spintronics

To produce a Science Highlight, you will get to grips with a scientific paper, interview one or two of the authors, and provide a first draft with quotes (600-800 words) that summarises the research in our highlights format.

Diamond’s Science Highlights can be found here: http://www.diamond.ac.uk/Science/Research/Highlights

To apply:

Please send a brief message to introduce yourself, along with a CV and a sample of your writing, to me, David Johns: [log in to unmask]

Best wishes,

David

David Johns

Communications Officer

Diamond Light Source

Diamond House, Harwell Science & Innovation Campus, Didcot, Oxon, OX11 ODE

Tel: 01235 778554

Web: www.diamond.ac.uk

• set psci-com nomail (to stop receiving messages while on holiday) • set psci-com mail (to resume getting messages) • signoff psci-com (to leave the list) • Subscribe here https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=psci-com

Paul Graham Raven - postgraduate researcher in infrastructure futures and theory, University of Sheffield

ORCID: http://orcid.org/0000-0002-3555-843X

Writer, reviewer, critic; contraPanglossian futurist; third-rate guitarist; dishevelled mountebank. Epistemological wet-work a speciality.

"As full of good, crooked, crunchy stuff as a cracked walnut." - Bruce Sterling
"... the futurist Bill Hicks." - @fragmad

*** READ CAREFULLY. By reading this email you agree, on behalf of your employer, to release me from all obligations and waivers arising from any and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements, licenses, terms-of-service, shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap, confidentiality, non-disclosure, non-compete and acceptable use policies ("BOGUS AGREEMENTS") that I have entered into with your employer, its partners, licensors, agents and assigns, in perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and privileges. You further represent that you have the authority to release me from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer. For an explanation or expansion of this text, please see here. ***