Ah, interesting. Will steer clear then!

On 6 November 2015 at 09:59, Thomas Lancaster <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> There is an interesting discussion about Viper (and other linked "free"
> plagiarism detection services) here:
>

> http://essayscam.org/forum/gt/warning-use-viper-raptor-plagiarism-scanner-scanmyessay-1062/
>
> This is a few years old now, but it includes contributions from the
> company behind Viper.
>
> I would not recommend these free services to students.The database they
> have access to is very different to Turnitin, which may lull students into
> a false sense of security. There have been examples before (not of Viper)
> of "free" plagiarism detection services publishing the essays submitted by
> students on the web. You can also imagine how the student email addresses
> collected through these services will be used.
>
> Instead, I would suggest providing students with scheduled and monitored
> use of Turnitin for formative feedback, particularly during the early
> stages of their course.
>
> There are also ways that students can buy direct access to Turnitin, but
> again I wouldn't recommend that. There are pitfalls there for students who
> are unaware of the different Turnitiin databases that are in use around the
> world.
>
> Thanks,
> Thomas
>

> ------------------------------

*Stephen Gow*

*Academic Integrity Resource Manager*

Academic Support Office
Harry Fairhurst Building, Room LFA/132
University of York
Heslington
YORK
YO10 5DD
01904 321135

Plagiarism Advice Academic Network - China and UK
<http://www.plagiarismadvice.org/academic-network#china>

Gow, S. (2014). A cultural bridge for academic integrity? Mainland Chinese
master’s graduates of UK institutions returning to China. *International
Journal for Educational Integrity*, *10*(1).
<http://www.ojs.unisa.edu.au/index.php/IJEI/article/view/935>