​You know Klaus, you are NOT entitled to make up your own definition of
science.  ​ Science is a process. not a body of facts. Not explanations.

I suggest you read more about the philosophy and history of science. And
read a good dictionary.  And watch your words or, and this is a threat, or
Ken will insert the entire English Oxford Dictionary here to support the
proper definition.

---
You did a nice job of describing theory and its powers and virtues. And
most of science seeks good theories. I agree with your comments about
theory. But science usually starts through classification, not explanation.

The famous behaviorist B. F. Skinner (thankfully now dead), insisted that
Behavioral Science should never try to explain, should never develop
theories. It should instead only have systematic observations.

(My first faculty job was as an instructor in the psychology department of
harvard. When I was introduced, Skinner stood up to denounce me and my
field. You see, i wanted explanation.
Although Skinner was a really bad influence on Psychology (of course,
I am not biased, am i?), the work he did was indeed good science.)

So do not insist on your misleading understanding of science. Call what you
are talking about "Theory."  I am a fan of theory.  But not all of science
is explanatory.

Don

On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 11:54 PM, Klaus Krippendorff <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> science indeed explains how things work.
> in my characterizing science that way, i merely used a convenient shortcut
> to highlight the critical difference between science and design.
>
> of course scientists observe what they theorize.
> of course they develop consensus on what it is they observe repeatedly and
> theorize verifiably
> certainly, a theory explains observable phenomena but it goes beyond
> observables by predicting what else could be observed.

Don Norman
Prof. and Director, DesignLab, UC San Diego
[log in to unmask] designlab.ucsd.edu/  www.jnd.org  <http://www.jnd.org/>