To view this newsletter in a browser, visit:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=NRICH-SUPPORT;bb44de6a.1511p

To ensure that this newsletter is delivered to your inbox, add

NRICH monthly newsletter: November 2015
Enriching mathematics
Logo

In this Newsletter:

Latest Primary Features on NRICH

Latest Secondary Features on NRICH

Continuing Professional Development - Professional Development for Primary Maths Subject Leaders

Continuing Professional Development - Mastering Mathematics and Problem Solving

Mathematical Modelling': Year 8 Maths and Paper Folding workshop

NRICH Newsletters to be published every half term in 2016

Contact Details

Subscription Details

NRICH Newsletters to be published every half term in 2016

Hello Everyone

As the year draws to close, our NRICH team has been busy planning ahead for 2016.

We have been exploring ways to ensure that our resources are as effective as possible in your classroom. With that in mind, our NRICH calendar will shortly mirror your school calendar. Starting in January, our primary and secondary NRICH resources will be updated every half term with a new theme for your class. We will publish our newsletter at the start of every half term to introduce our new NRICH resources and discuss ways that you might like to share them with your class. We very much hope that your pupils and students will be share their solutions to our latest activities with our NRICH team, and we plan to publish a selection of them in the following half term's NRICH newsletter.

We do hope that our new approach supports your class to become confident young mathematicians.

Very best wishes

Ems Lord
Director of NRICH

Latest Primary Features on NRICH

Image

Early Years practitioners, have you seen our 'must-read' article Mathematical Problem Solving in the Early Years: Developing Opportunities, Strategies and Confidence in which Dr Sue Gifford suggests it is crucial that children see themselves as problem solvers and relish a challenge? The article outlines what problem solving 'looks like' for young children, how we can create opportunities for problem solving and problem posing, and then discusses the strategies children might use to solve problems. Sue also argues that, as well as offering you the chance to assess children’s understanding and use of mathematical ideas, problem solving clearly allows children to demonstrate the EYFS ‘Characteristics of effective learning’ in mathematics.

Primary teachers, watch out for our new Paper Folding Feature to be published later this month. In the meantime, your learners have another week or so to send us their solutions to the primary live problems.

Latest Secondary Features on NRICH

Image

This month, we are pleased to publish a selection of resources from Cambridge's Education Faculty epiSTEMe project. This new feature for Key Stage 3 is filled with research based activities for teaching probability designed to support classroom dialogue. See the feature here.

You may also be interested in our secondary student feature, Should I Risk It? based on the work of Professor David Spiegelhalter. In particular, with the risks of eating processed meat back in the news, How Risky Is a Bacon Sandwich? could provoke some interesting discussion with your classes!

This month marks 200 years since the birth of mathematician and logician George Boole. To celebrate, our feature for Upper Secondary students is all about logic, inviting you to explore the world of logic gates and circuits.

Continuing Professional Development - Professional Development for Primary Maths Subject Leaders

Image

Supporting children to be great at Reasoning
Thursday 28 January, 2016 in London (Re-run of 10 June 2015)

Back by popular demand! This one-day event for primary maths subject leaders is a repeat of an event run in the summer term. The day will look at progression in reasoning and the element of proof in some depth. For more details see the NRICH website. Booking will open shortly. If you are unable to make the day, do take a look at our Reasoning Feature which will support you in developing children's reasoning skills.

Continuing Professional Development - Mastering Mathematics and Problem Solving

This day, to be held on 19 November, is now over subscribed but we are delighted to announce that we will be running a repeat event, likely to be in the spring term. Look out for further details on the NRICH site.

Mathematical Modelling': Year 8 Maths and Paper Folding workshop

Image

Thursday 10 December, 1.30 - 3.0pm
Venue: Centre for Mathematical Sciences, Cambridge

Join NRICH's Fran Watson for an interactive workshop for Year 8 students exploring mathematics through paper folding. This workshop is designed to help students develop their problem solving skills in an engaging context, and to encourage mathematical creativity.

This free event is aimed at interested and engaged Year 8 students and is suitable for a range of abilities. Places are limited to a maximum of 15 students per school.

For more information and to book places see http://maths.org/paper-folding-Y8-Dec15.

Contact Details

Centre for Mathematical Sciences
Wilberforce Road
Cambridge
CB3 0WA

01223 761328
http://nrich.maths.org

You are subscribed to NRICH monthly newsletter. To unsubscribe, visit:
https://WWW.JISCMAIL.AC.UK/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=NRICH-SUPPORT&A=1