Dear colleagues,

We are currently finalizing an evaluation of the procedure of urgent medical aid, a unique procedure granting access to the national health care system for undocumented migrants in Belgium. As this report will be presented to the Parliament, we anticipate some of the questions and especially the question of medical tourism and immigration for medical reasons. We are thus looking for references or reports about these two questions in order to support our research findings : indeed we do believe that improving access to health care for undocumented migrants won’t have an impact on “medical tourism” or “immigration for medical reasons”. In a report of Doctors of the World, it was stated that “medical tourism” represents only 2% of the migration motivations but we would like to have additional references.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Marie

http://www.uclouvain.be/cps/ucl/doc/ac-arec/images/logo-signature.png

Marie Dauvrin, Inf. spéc., Dr.
Chargée de recherches / chargée de cours invitée
Institut de recherche santé et société/ Faculté de santé publique
Clos Chapelle-aux-Champs 30 B1.30.15.

B-1200 Woluwé-Saint-Lambert
Tél. 32 (02)764 34 71 - Fax 32 (02)764 34 70
www.uclouvain.be/marie.dauvrin