Thanks Ian, nice to know we’re not alone !!

Kind Regards

Steve

From: Discussion for MS IDM tools liks ILM and FIM [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ian Swift (Staff)
Sent: 13 November 2015 09:52
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Group management with FIM/MIM or other tools

Hi Steve,

This is something we’re battling with at the moment too.   We’ve just gone through a university wide restructure so have created a base set of groups/lists to reflect this along similar lines to you and are now wondering what to do about more bespoke requests (one option is just telling them no I guess J ).

We’d initially wanted to devolve creation of groups/lists to our users but they use such a wide variety of operating systems and browsers that the IE dependent FIM portal is totally unusable for many of them.    We had a look at Condrey Groupsymmetry but it can only operate directly against Active Directory.  We don’t want to put all the attributes we’d need to build these groups into AD so would rather have something that could operate against a ‘private’ ADLDS instance with all the necessary attributes.  We’d then sync the resultant groups back to AD with FIM.

We’re very interested to hear what others are doing too.

Ian Swift

University of Dundee