My apologies – correct url is now inserted below!

Ross

From: Promoting discussion in the science studies community [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Macfarlane, Ross
Sent: 06 November 2015 11:58
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: History of Pre-Modern Medicine seminar - 10th Nov, 'Executing magic: the healing power of criminal corpses in European popular culture'

Dear colleagues,

*With apologies for cross-posting*

The next seminar in the 2015/16 History of Pre-Modern Medicine series takes place next Tuesday (10th November) with Prof Owen Davies (University of Hertfordshire).

‘Executing magic: the healing power of criminal corpses in European popular culture’

Abstract:

The use of criminal corpses in early modern healing has been explored in a number of studies, likewise the role of the continental executioner as quasi-official healer. So this talk looks at subjects that are usually considered to be early modern topics (rather like European witchcraft), and assesses the extent to which, and in what ways, ‘early modern’ corpse medicine and the executioners’ healing function continued into the 19th century. To this end, the talk will consider the effect on popular healing practices of changing execution and post-mortem punishment practices across Europe, such as the use of the hangman’s rope, and how in popular medical beliefs the criminal corpse was thought to give life through its touch, blood and body parts. The impact on corpse medicine of the changing status of the executioner and the rise of new custodians of the criminal dead will also be considered.

---

The seminar will take place in the Wellcome Library, 183 Euston Road, London, NW1 2BE.

Doors open at 6pm prompt, the seminar will start at 6.15pm.

More info here: http://blog.wellcomelibrary.org/2015/11/executing-magic-the-healing-power-of-criminal-corpses-in-european-popular-culture/

With best wishes,

Ross

Ross MacFarlane

Research Engagement Officer

Wellcome Library

Wellcome Trust

Gibbs Building

215 Euston Road

London NW1 2BE, UK

T +44 (0)20 7611 7340

F +44 (0)20 7611 8369

E [log in to unmask]

http://wellcomelibrary.org

The Wellcome Trust is a global charitable foundation dedicated to improving health. We support bright minds in science, the humanities and the social sciences, as well as education, public engagement and the application of research to medicine.

Our investment portfolio gives us the independence to support such transformative work as the sequencing and understanding of the human genome, research that established front-line drugs for malaria, and Wellcome Collection, our free venue for the incurably curious that explores medicine, life and art.

The Wellcome Trust is a charity registered in England and Wales, no. 210183. Its sole trustee is The Wellcome Trust Limited, a company registered in England and Wales, no. 2711000 (whose registered office is at 215 Euston Road, London NW1 2BE, UK).

Follow the Wellcome Library on Twitter and Facebook

This message has been scanned for viruses by Websense Hosted Email Security