Elizabeth New says:

'Dear Maddy (and Rosemary, who also forwarded the query),

Probably the best place for Meg to start, if she hasn't already, is 7000 Year of Seals, and English Medieval Industries. More recently, Sandy (T.A.) Heslop and John Cherry have written several articles that touch on the manufacture of matrices (Heslop in the English Romanesque Art and Age of Chivalry catalogues would be a good port of call), and John McEwan's essay in Seals and their Context in the Middle Ages should be helpful. With regard to the manufacture of seals in a monastic and European context, Markus Spaeth essays in Seals and their Context and in the newly-published (by Brepols) Medieval Coins and Seals are good. I also touch on the production of matrices in a few articles, and would be happy for her to get in touch direct.

Hope this is of some help.

Elizabeth'

(whose email will be on the Aberystwyth University web site)

--
Prof. Madeleine Gray University of South Wales http://www.heritagetortoise.co.uk http://twitter.com/heritagepilgrim 'You say to yourself in your mid-60s, how much time am I going to have, do I want to slow down?' (Charlotte Rampling)