For some early evidence (C5-6), take a look at some memorial stones:
http://www.KornbluthPhoto.com/GraveMarkers2.html
row 1 no. 4 and row 2 no. 1.
best,
Genevra

On 11/19/2015 2:54 PM, Jaye Procure wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture
The Latin phrase is "requiescat in pace"  if that helps.  So RIP has probably been around a long while.  According to the website "Catholic Culture" the phrase exists in the catacombs.  There is no reference for that, unfortunately

Jaye