From: Museums Computer Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Melissa Terras
Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2015 8:25 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Good examples of metadata alongside digitised content?

Thank you all for these fanstastic leads - very helpful indeed! will now have a good peruse!

Melissa

On 19 November 2015 at 15:43, Joan B. <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> [...]
> > techniques were more advanced than ever before, meaning even cheaper
> > television sets for many families who now
> also
> > had higher incomes. By 1963 there were more than 15 million sets in
> > Britain. The Philips Company was founded in 1891 by a Dutchman,
> > Gerard Philips, to manufacture lightbulbs. In the early 1900s the
> > company
> expanded
> > its research into other areas of electronics, including the
> > development
> of
> > radio, and later television. ">
> > <META NAME="DC.Relation.isPartOf" CONTENT="National Museum of
> > Photography Film &amp; Television">
> >

> > ...there we were hoping NOF might do something useful with it like
> > build an aggregator or something...
> >
> > cheers
> >
> > Mike
> >

> > _____________________________
> >

> > *Mike Ellis *
> >
> > Thirty8 Digital: a small but perfectly formed digital agency:
> > http://thirty8.co.uk <http://thirty8.co.uk/>
> >
> > * My book: http://heritageweb.co.uk <http://heritageweb.co.uk/> *
> >

> > Melissa Terras wrote:
> >
> >> Hi folks,
> >>
> >> I'm teaching metadata in class tomorrow, and I find myself
> >> scrabbling
> >> (again) to find any examples of full metadata in the cultural and
> heritage
> >> sector, using VRA or IPTC or even Dublin Core. What I'd really like
> >> is a site that had various examples of a digitised image of
> >> something, plus
> all
> >> the metadata that goes alongside that item (this information is
> generally
> >> seldom public facing). I'm wondering why such a site doesnt exist,
> >> and what it would take to put it together... but in the meantime,
> >> would anyone
> care
> >> to share with me one good example of an image plus ALL of its
> >> metadata that you have? We really need examples of these to show
> >> students and to help teach them about the best practice, the
> >> complexities, and what people
> are
> >> actually doing in the sector...
> >>
> >> Any help gratefully received, and if its not in time for tomorrow,
> >> no matter! I can keep examples for class next term!
> >>
> >> best
> >>
> >> Melissa
> >>

> > ****************************************************************
> >       website:  http://museumscomputergroup.org.uk/
> >       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg
> >      Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/museumscomputergroup
> > [un]subscribe:  http://museumscomputergroup.org.uk/email-list/
> > ****************************************************************
> >

> --
> ////////:\\\\\\\\:////////
> Joan E. Beaudoin
> Assistant Professor
> School of Library and Information Science Wayne State University

Melissa M. Terras MA MSc DPhil CLTHE
Professor of Digital Humanities
Vice Dean of Research, UCL Faculty of Arts and Humanities Director, UCL Centre for Digital Humanities Department of Information Studies Foster Court University College London Gower Street WC1E 6BT

Tel: 020-7679-7206 (direct), 020-7679-7204 (dept), 020-7383-0557 (fax)
Email: [log in to unmask]
Web: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/dis/people/melissaterras
Blog: http://melissaterras.org/
Twitter: @melissaterras