Hi

In our libraries we have some of the large, heavy paperbacks stored horizontally on the shelf, with the spines facing out, rather than vertically.  This makes it easier for students to get the books without the whole shelf collapsing on them.

Hope this helps

Judy France

Library Manager

Rotherham College