Hi john.  Our staff provide several options to a walk in user often in combination with one another: cat reference hours, libguides which may end up answering their question plus provides contact info to subject librarians, business cards and finally we set up a unique list titled science reference.  As we all check our email at different times, whoever sees the question first answers it and copies the list so we know someone has picked it up.   This is useful for staff who may not know who to refer a question to.  They usually get a response within a few hours which is either answered or given a start or referral.  As we closed our physical desk this year, this process works well.   Best.  Marty

-----  Message -----
From: Jon Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 04:46:24 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Referrals and appointments (Subject Librarians)

REFERRALS AND APPOINTMENTS: Subject Librarians

What formal or informal methods does your institution use for referring queries from front line customer support staff on to academic liaison or subject librarians?

Does this include any booking systems or software for making 1-1 appointments with the liaison or subject librarians?

Please give any details you can.

Many thanks for your help,

Jon Andrews
Subject Advisor for Medicine
Barnes Library
University of Birmingham
Birmingham B15 2TT.

Martin Kesselman, Librarian 1
Agricultural and Environmental Sciences Librarian
Editor, Library Hi Tech News

Rutgers University Library of Science and Medicine
165 Bevier Road
Piscataway, NJ 08854
732-309-6574 (cell)

"SPANNING BRIDGES FROM TRADITIONS TO TRANSITIONS"