From: Tectonics & structural geology discussion list [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Urai, Janos [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 29 October 2015 16:14
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Where to purchase sand for analog modeling - USA

Phil,

for my classes in Oman I use sand form desert dunes - perhaps you can find a way to get this in the USA.

for the ductile material in teaching I have used different kinds of hair gel that you can buy in any drug store. Just go for the ones without perfume.

A great addition also is a good strong lamp to illuminate the models in low angle light.

Finally, perhaps you want to consider using gypsum powder which you can harden and excavate and can fail in both modes. This is very easy to do. We described this in

Changes in structural style of normal faults due to failure mode transition: First results from excavated scale models
M Kettermann, JL Urai
Journal of Structural Geology 74, 105-116

Also, there are some ink types which you can use to colour the sand easily.

kind regards,

Janos

Prof. Dr. Janos L. Urai
Structural Geology, Tectonics and Geomechanics
RWTH Aachen University, Lochnerstrasse 4-20
D-52056 Aachen, Germany
T: +49 241 809 5723  M: +49 151 140 42552